Weekend That Was – Round 6



BELTINGS, upsets and amazing individual performances were among the highlights of Round 6 in the TAC Cup.

In the Looking Ahead article, Dandenong Stingrays and Northern Knights was predicted to be the most one-sided contest of the round.

It lived up to all expectations, with the Stingrays running away with it by 99 points.

The day became more about how many goals Tom De Koning could kick – he had six by half-time and nine by the final siren.

It was a relatively tight first quarter with four goals to three in favour of the home side, but after that, it was 20 goals to four in a complete domination.

In the second match of the round, Geelong Falcons had a comfortable 40-point win over Western Jets to reaffirm their top four hopes.

They led from start to finish and kicked six goals to zero in the second term to hold a 54-point half-time advantage.

The Jets booted nine goals to six after half-time, but it was too little, too late, as Pat Dowling stood up for the Falcons with five goals.

North Ballarat Rebels also secured a spot in the eight with some breathing space after a 39-point win over Oakleigh Chargers.

The Rebels had to do it the hard way for the first three quarters, leading by 13 points at the final break, before kicking away with a five goals to one final term.

AFL Academy players Hugh McCluggage and Jarrod Korewha were among the Rebels best.

Bendigo Pioneers kept their season alive with a 21-point upset win over Eastern Ranges.

In a surprise to most, the Pioneers booted nine goals to one in a stunning third quarter to open up a 39-point last break lead.

The Ranges hit hard late, but they could not come away with the four points.

Joshua Begley and Jaidyn Stephenson stood up for the Ranges with nine goals between them, while Angus Schumacher was among the best for the Pioneers.

Calder Cannons proved too good for a weakened Murray Bushrangers outfit, defeating them by 54 points.

Karl Brown booted another bag of six, meaning he has slotted 15 in the past fortnight.

Murray missed many of its players who were playing with NSW/ACT Rams in the Under 18 Division Two Championships, and were not able to stay in the contest, which was blown apart in the third term when Calder kicked seven goals to two.

In the final match of the round, Sandringham Dragons easily accounted for Gippsland Power to hold onto a top two spot.

They led all day and never looked like losing, with Andrew McGrath picking up a lazy 44 disposals, six marks, one hit-out and 19 tackles in the best performance of the year.

The result meant Gippsland Power is still the only TAC Cup side yet to have a win.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *